- Manama, Capital Governorate, Bahrain
- Employment Type:
- Full time
- Asset Management, Research, Risk Management
- Sub Sector:
- Strategist/Economist, n/a, Country
- Position Type:
- Job Reference:
- Date Added:
- To write and present independent views on economic development involving data management, estimations, and forecasts using knowledge in modelling and in-depth research, to assist Group senior management in business and investment decisions in countries of the group’s interest;
- To provide assessment on and review of country’s performance, as reflected in country risk ratings and limits under risk regulatory framework and overall the group’s credit policy;
- To deliver relevant commentaries on the financial markets for Treasury spanning foreign exchange, fixed income and equity, especially in terms of their impact on international financial market and the group;
- To provide economic intelligence and industry outlook to inform senior management of market situation that affects business decisions, and continue to improve/consolidate/unify/maintain key business and economic data for better accessibility and transparency;
- To provide concise economic reports both written and verbal to high-level committees (BRC, sBRC, GALCO, ALCO, HOCC) and sub-committees of international economic and Financial market developments;
- To support business units with economic reports and market discussions, to interact with and provide guidance to the group senior management in subsidiaries in relation to financial economic matters to ensure consistent approach across the Group, and to enhance the group’s external reputation through a series of presentation, conference involvement, and client visits;
- To administer the Economic department, to work closely with Group economists, and to support the group’s senior management initiatives
- Take charge in the overall administration of Economics department, and take lead in involving Group economists.
Key responsibilities, accountabilities and deliverables
- Prepare accurate and timely analyses, economic outlooks and forecasts of countries to assess country risk, and industry outlook for the use by senior executives, commercial bankers and credit officers across the group;
- Actively provide country risk ratings and limits to appropriate cross-border exposures, and industry outlook in setting industry limits to appropriate concentration risks, and continue to enhance the group rating models and forecasts;
- On demand by senior management, supplying concise analysis and presentation of various country and other economic situations that will enable senior management to make important lending and investment decisions;
- Travel to specific countries to attend conferences or arrange a series of interviews with high-level government officials, businessmen and economists to improve knowledge of the country concerned to sharpen country risk assessment;
- Attend GALCO (and ALCO) meetings and brief the committee on relevant economic developments in various markets;
- Support Treasury and CBFI in writing a quarterly economic and market report and giving oral presentations to their clients as required;
- Attend and participate in economic conferences and seminars related to the primary functions of chief economist;
- Provide economic support for other areas in the Group.
Education / Certifications
- A postgraduate degree in Economics or Applied Economics from internationally reputed university; Ph.D. is preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in global economic analysis, preferably in multilateral organization and private financial institution. At least 8 years of extensive experiences in the MENA region and strong knowledge of risk management issues;
- Extensive and deep knowledge of world affairs and developments, with a keen interest in keeping up with trends and changes;
- A sound knowledge of modern banking and finance in addition to solid economic knowledge and experience is required.