Trump offered some additional criticism of the 2 October killing of Saudi journalist Khashoggi and Saudi Arabia’s response to it was saying that it was a very bad original concept.
President Donald Trump said he is passing responsibility to Congress for responding to the killing of Jamal Khashoggi at a Saudi consulate in Istanbul, and he criticised the conflicting accounts from Saudi Arabia afterward as “one of the worst” cover-ups in history.
“In terms of what we ultimately do I’m going to leave it very much -- in conjunction with me -- up to Congress,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. He added that he wants to receive a bipartisan recommendation on penalties.
Secretary of State Michael Pompeo later said the US is moving against individuals it suspects were involved in the killing, without identifying their names or nationalities. The US is revoking or blocking visas for 21 suspects in the incident, according to State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert. Pompeo said the US is also reviewing the possibility of sanctions against those people.
“These penalties will not be the last word,” Pompeo told reporters at the State Department Tuesday. “We’ve learned a lot over the past few days” and hope to learn a great deal more over next 2-3 days, Pompeo added.
The crisis over the Khashoggi killing continued for a third week as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan laid out his case Tuesday for why he believes Khashoggi’s death was premeditated and not the result of an interrogation or interview gone awry. The same day, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman showed up at a global investment summit in Riyadh that has seen its lustre diminished as details of the killing -- and Saudi responsibility -- prompted a number of high profile leaders to skip the gathering.
“It was carried out poorly,” Trump added. “And the cover-up was one of the worst in the history of cover-ups.”
Trump said of the attack on the journalist that “whoever thought of that idea, I think, is in big trouble.”
And in an interview with the Wall Street Journal published on Tuesday evening, the president, asked about Prince Mohammed’s possible involvement in the killing, said, "he’s running things and so if anybody were going to be, it would be him." Trump also told the newspaper that he did not think the Saudi ruler, King Salman, knew that Khashoggi was a target.
Saudi Arabia has most recently said Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the crown prince, was killed after a discussion at the consulate erupted into a brawl. That account has been questioned by world leaders, and Turkish officials have leaked accounts of audio recordings indicating the journalist was ambushed, beaten, killed and his body dismembered.
Erdogan publicly challenged Saudi explanations and declared the killing a “ferocious” premeditated murder, demanding that Saudi Arabia hold accountable those responsible.
Trump said CIA Director Gina Haspel and other US officials looking into the killing should return from the region Tuesday evening and Wednesday. Trump said later that he would meet with officials involved in the inquiry on Wednesday.
“We’re all meeting tomorrow afternoon,” Trump said during a meeting with military leaders early Tuesday evening. “We’ve gained a lot of information. And we will know pretty much everything there is to know, I believe.”
Republicans and Democrats in Congress have both expressed deep scepticism about the Saudi explanation. Some lawmakers have called for stiff penalties on Saudi Arabia. but Congress is out of session to campaign for the Nov. 6 elections and will not return until the middle of next month.
Trump had previously called Saudi versions credible and sent conflicting signals on how the US should respond, last week calling the journalist’s killing “very bad” but repeatedly emphasising that he did not want to endanger US arms sales to Saudi Arabia, Saudi investment in the US or the American alliance with the kingdom.
He repeated that it would be ‘foolish’ to impede arms deals or investment flows.